How do we approach brain injury anniversaries? That day can bring up a weird feeling, it can be painful, it can be hard to get through. Each of us will have different experiences with it. Today we will have perspectives from survivors as well as family members. Wherever you are on your journey, my hope is that this episode helps you to know know you’re not alone, and gives you tools and practical tips for dealing with your anniversary. Xo, Cristabelle
Season 1 – Episode 5
You’ll hear from:
1) Cristabelle & her mother Cyndie Braden
2) Survivor: Jessica Karnes
3) Couple: David & Gretchen Christenson
4) Mother: Nicole Bingaman
GUIDE: 0:00 – Intro | 0:36 – Cristabelle & Cyndie Braden | 13:03 – Survivor, Jessica Karnes | 24:20 – Couple, David & Gretchen Christenson | 42:07 – Mother, Nicole Bingaman
MEET OUR GUESTS:
– Jessica Karnes is a brain injury and chronic illness warrior. She has persevered through multiple head injuries which has impacted her life and her family in a multitude of ways. She has had to learn how to do things over again after each injury, but she never gives up! She studied social work and obtained a bachelor’s degree at Spring Arbor University. She enjoys spending time with her family and watching Disney movies!
– David and Gretchen Christenson are small town South Dakota residents. David is a crop insurance agent, and Gretchen is a teacher. David suffered a TBI in a vehicle versus pedestrian hit and run 8 blocks from their home on November 14, 2009. They now refer to that date as David’s “Alive Day” and are thankful for a recovery that many call a miracle. Book: https://amzn.to/36YmRpr
– Nicole Bingaman became acquainted with TBI in 2012 when her adult son had an accident resulting in a catastrophic traumatic brain injury. She has worked for over 20 years in the human service field, but is most passionate about raising brain injury awareness. Her book, Falling Away from You, was published in 2015. The book was written from the depths of Nicole’s grief. She is a blogger for BrainLine.org, and a contributing writer for the Mighty and TBI HOPE magazine. Her story, Love Wins, was featured in Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Kind America. Nicole serves on the Board of Directors for the Brain Injury Association of Pennsylvania and was named a TBI Hope Hero in 2019. Nicole is a certified yoga instructor, who has been trained with the LoveYourBrain foundation. Book: https://amzn.to/33WZs5X | nicolebingaman.com
– Cyndie Braden has over 20 years experience teaching and developing educational curriculum, and she holds a Master of Science. After being thrown into the world of brain injury by her daughter’s injury, Cyndie has been passionately learning about brain injury research and finding resources while supporting the brain injury survivors and families. She has been invited to speak at brain injury conferences. She also has advocated with the Brain Injury Association of Pennsylvania at the State Capitol in Harrisburg and in Washington D.C. and works alongside her daughter Cristabelle to support the community of Hope After Head Injury.
Cristabelle Braden is an award winning singer/songwriter, keynote speaker, writer, and podcast host. cristabellebraden.com